There was a large disconnect between the salesman and what the contract ended up saying. Lack of transparency and refusal to meet with us to discuss our concerns.
Areas Of Satisfaction - The cleaning and safety of the site exceeded my expectations.
I would certainly use them again. They did everything as I wanted and I am very pleased with the end results.
Professional & Organized - They were always professional.
Design - The design has definitely met my needs.
Additional Comments - I would highly recommend them. I just think I have the nicest kitchen and shower that I have ever seen.
Recognized Excellence - I'd like to recognize Bryan Sim for his service.
Additional Comments - Great experience! Would be happy to recommend them.
I would not recommend Ottawa General Contactors for the following reasons:
1) Their sub-contractors only worked a few hours a day. We were told that the project would take two weeks, but it required 5 weeks to complete to great disruption to my house and family. I believe that a key reason for this, except for a few exceptions, was that most days, contractors only worked 3 to 4 hours at the house.
2) Towards the end of the project, there was very little communication regarding how it was going to end. I had to create multiple lists of items that needed to be addressed. The project supervisor did not seem to be present or have a real idea of what needed to be completed. I felt that the only reason the project was “completed” was due to my oversight and extensive effort. I thought I hired a general contractor to do this job, but in the end, I had to do it.
3) The final fit and finish were sub-par: Floor tiles were uneven, there is an unsightly gap between the out-door entrance tile and wood flooring, and there are several places were the floor grout is cracking in the bathroom and front entrance.
4) The painter left several paint splotches on the floor and on the carpet in the basement. I was told the painter would professionally prep the walls, but little prep was done other then filling in obvious nail and screw holes. There is paint all along the base of the floor boards were he was cutting the quarter-round trim
5) Once the project started, we had to pay for additional items (under padding for the tiling flooring) plus we were asked if we wanted the front post of the house (a structural repair that was part of the project) wrap in vinyl which was going to add cost ($1000 or more). I should have been given these options when the contract was being created and felt I was not told of the overall potential cost of the project. The finishing on the front post was not what I expected (four boards of wood screwed together then painted). Although the post is functional, it does not have clean and professional finish or look.
5) But the main reason I would not recommend Ottawa General Contractor is this: During the final phases of project, I had concerns about the painter and how the project was going over the time it was suppose to be by. I sent Bryan Sims two emails and left a messages for him to call me. He was the person that sold me a $35,000 project. He never bothered to return my call or emails. I was highly offended by this! Considering the amount of money I was spending at Ottawa General Contractors, he should have made an effort to contact me. Once the project started, he never called or made any effort to personally follow up and to check on things. In the end, Bryan came across as being only interested in my money, and not how I felt about the project once it was under way or completed. Because of this, I would not recommend Ottawa General Contractors to anyone else.
6) Additionally: I did receive a call a year and a bit later from the site supervisor (his name escapes me at the moment) asking for a recommendation. Why did it take a year and a few months for any type of follow up? Why are we getting this survey two years later? You should have followed up within a month once the project was completed so that we could have addressed my dissatisfaction! If you were hoping for further work from me or were hoping I would recommend you to others, it would have been in your best interest to have followed up once the project was deemed completed to see how I felt.
Recognized Excellence - Alan and Marie
Areas Of Satisfaction - Finishing and craftsmanship
GuildQuality partners with it's member companies to survey their customers and collect detailed feedback on their behalf. By administrating surveys as an unbiased third party we ensure that customers have the opportunity to express their true feelings about a project and that members get the most accurate and detailed feedback possible.
When a survey contains the "Review" question, that customer's answer will show up on the member's profile page as a public review. Members have the option to turn off reviews but cannot hide individual reviews. It's all or nothing. This means that any reviews you see on a GuildQuality profile page are real comments left by the customer and verified by GuildQuality.
Each item listed under "Customer satisfaction" represents a specific question asked by GuildQuality to customers of Ottawa General Contractors as part of our survey process. The bar graph and percentage next to the question stand for the percentage of respondents that were "Satisfied" about that particular question.
A customer is considered satisfied about about a question if they answered with 4 or more stars out of 5. For example if the "Communication" question is at 95% satisfaction that means that 95% of survey respondents answered that question with 4 or more stars out of 5 possible stars.More about surveys