Ask questions and get answers from experienced industry professionals
Hello Katrina, sorry to hear about your experience thus far. Regarding cutting your losses and hiring someone else, all states are different, but a contract cancellation clause should have been outlined in the contractor's contract / scope of work. If it was not spelled out in your contract, you might want to contact the licensing board in your state for additional information. Next step would be contacting an attorney.
To help you I need to ask a few questions:
1. Do you have a good contract?
2. Does the contract state in writing start time?
3. Do you think you have paid money to the contractor more than the work completed?
4. Does your state require a licence?
5. Is the contractor a friend of your?
Are you a building professional?
Why not answer these questions like a pro?Sign up free