Show All
Show Answers
Show Open Questions
Show Most Popular

HDR Remodeling

Aug 21, 2019
Jan 30, 2020

To help you I need to ask a few questions:

1. Do you have a good contract?

2. Does the contract state in writing start time?

3. Do you think you have paid money to the contractor more than the work completed?

4. Does your state require a licence?

5. Is the contractor a friend of your?

Apr 24, 2019
Apr 29, 2019
Soundproofing an Apartment: Non-Invasive Fixes for Quieter Renting

Tammy Sloan asked:

Jan 21, 2019
Mar 4, 2019

I don't think so.  Nothing that will last under heat, water and weight.


Oct 25, 2018
Oct 30, 2018


What did the contractor say.  Why didn't she/he use them.  I would talk to the contractors before I file a complaint with the BBB.  Can you tell me more about the project?

Philip Anderson\

Apr 1, 2017
Apr 3, 2017 The National Tile Contrators Association is a good start

and then google them

Philip Anderson

HDR Remodeling

Berkeley Ca

Dec 14, 2016
Jan 3, 2017

Condensation from the differential temperature is of course on answer.  The other and more concerning is the furnace or force air unit (FAU).  I would recommend contacting a licenced heating contractor and ask them to check the replacement air going to the FAU.  The old windows were letting in a lot of air. What air was acting as replacement air for the furnace.  With the new windows you are no longer supplying replacemet air to the furnace.

See Pella’s Understanding Condensation fact sheet at: 

Philip Anderson

HDR Remodeling Inc

Berkeley Ca

Dec 11, 2016
Dec 12, 2016

I would recommend starting with making sure all the existing windows and securely closed and locked.  I find windows partly open because they have been painted that way.  Take some time to make sure each window closes properly add weather stripping as needed.

Add wather stripping to all doors

check that all the heating ducts are connected securely

Nov 28, 2016
Nov 30, 2016

There are a very wide veriety of gas fireplace inserts.  

1. Check with the city to see what you can install.  Some cities are now requiring sealed units

2. Do not try runing a gas line by yourself.  Hire a licensed plumber to do it.

3. Contact a CSIA certified chimney sweep to help you install. 


Philip Anderson

HDR Remodeling Berkeley Ca

Nov 15, 2016
Nov 16, 2016

I always refer clients to Remodeling Magazine Price Value Ratio. If you go to Remodeling Magazine it will pop right up.  It is the bible of the industry.

Philip Anderson

HDR Remodeling

Berkeley, Ca

Oct 13, 2016
Oct 13, 2016

I would recommend a licenced mason   Please don't have a handyperson do it.  It will look terrible and may not withstand an siemic even properly.

i would call some of the licenced home builder in your area and ask them who they would recommend/


Jun 2, 2016
Jul 25, 2016

yes I would be concerned about the egress issue (or the ways in which you can exit the home).  I would always check with the building department. 


HDR Remodeling

Berkeley Ca

Are you a building professional?

Why not answer these questions like a pro?

Sign up free