Show All
Show Answers
Show Open Questions
Show Most Popular

Margot G asked:

Dec 13, 2016
If a chimney needs rebuilding who do I look for? A roofer or a stone mason?
My home is 59 years old and has a leak somewhere around the chimney that has been difficult to locate and stop permanently. It has cracks in the mortar on the side and top crown as well as some missing mortar. The flashing has been "fixed" with tar or roof caulk several times. Is it normal to need a removal and replacement of the chimney mortar after some period of time?

Ryan Gregory answered:

Dec 14, 2016

Both, more than likely. The mason should replace the masonry products and the roofer should work with the mason to achieve a regletted counterflashing and flash the roof under counterflashings.

Are you a building professional?

Why not answer these questions like a pro?

Sign up free